The Broad Ripple Gazette
The news from Broad Ripple "Now & Then"

Click for ad info

Broad Ripple
Cloisonne Collector Pin Series

Now available on-line or at:

  • Artifacts 6327 Guilford Ave. 317-255-1178

Pin #1: Broad Ripple Village Duck measures 1.25" x 0.75"
P I N # 1     S O L D    O U T

Front Back

Pin #2: Broad Ripple Canal measures 1.25" x 0.62"

The Central Canal was started at the "Broad Ripple" in the White River in 1836. It was to be part of a state-wide network of canals meant to allow Indiana to compete with other states by providing inexpensive transport for goods. Only 8 miles (between Broad Ripple and Downtown) were completed before the project nearly bankrupted the state. The canal now supplies about 60% of the fresh water supply for Indianapolis.

Pin #3: Broad Ripple Gazette measures 1.25" x 0.56"

The Broad Ripple Gazette was started in 2004. It grew out of the website The paper was able to reach more people to deliver the current happenings in the Village as well as recount the vast history of the Town of Broad Ripple that dates back to 1837. The Gazette also started holding History Saturday meetings to gather more history from readers, recording their stories, old photos, and other memoribilia.

Pin #4: The Patio measures 1.5" x 0.56"

The famous Patio Nightclub was just north of the Avenue on Guilford for years. Opened in the 1970s by "Chubby" Wadsworth, the club was a showcase for local and national independent bands, such as Roadmaster, Zero Boys, and The Replacements. Jonee Quest ran the sound at the Patio. Otis Gibbs played to a standing-room-only crowd at the final night of the club on November 26, 2005.

Pin #5: Bagel Clock measures 1" x 1"

This giant bagel clock stands high over the heart of Broad Ripple Village at the corner of Broad Ripple Avenue and Guilford on the roof of Ripple Bagel and Deli. The steamed bagel sandwich shop was opened in 2004 by Susan and Ken Richman, both Broad Ripple High School alumni. When you stop in, be sure to order the Broad Ripple Gazette (turkey, swiss, and banana peppers on a sesame seed bagel).

Pin #6: Vogue measures 1.5" x 1.125"

Opened in 1938 by Carl Neisse, the 800-seat premier movie house served the north side of Indy for decades. The bronze star signed by movie stars of the era can still be found in the sidewalk by the ticket booth. The Vogue was one of the first theaters to have air-conditioning. In the 1970s it became a X-rated theater for a short time before being purchased and remodeled in 1977 as the current Vogue Nightclub.

Pin #7: Chelsea's measures 1.5" x 1.125"

Built in 1877 at the corner of what is now Guilford and Westfield (then Morgan and Hancock Streets) is one of the Village's oldest structures. Watt's Drug Store occupied the ground floor at the turn of the 20th century and the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) was above, Lobraico's Rexall Drugs had the building from 1925 to 1990. Chelsea's has been there since 1990. The Red Room is above.

Pin #8: Broad Ripple fire station 32 measures 1.5" x .75"

Broad Ripple's fire station #32 was built in 1922. This was the year that the Town of Broad Ripple was annexed by the City of Indianapolis. The architect of the station was John Parrish. The site has been a public meeting place since the mid 1800s. In 2011 the building was nominated by the BRVA's Committee for Historic Broad Ripple to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Please visit one of the shops above.
If you prefer, you may:
    - click here to print an order form
    - click here to order on-line